Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Media Teacher

The Media Teacher


I’m so glad to have the media
To teach us about the world
To teach us how to talk with our children
To show me that most things can be unsafe
To show me how to use common sense
To instruct me how to eat
And what to eat
And how to feed my child
And what my favorite celebrity eats
And what insignificant thing they said
That I need to hear
And what product will kill me
And what I should be afraid of
And what I shouldn’t fear
How I should feel
What’s fake, what’s real
To distract me from the government
With their fingers in my life
Teaching me what’s wrong and right
Showing me how to decide
Keeping everything bright for the side they choose
Teaching me which politician needs to win
And lose
Showing me what the weather is like
Every moment, every day, every night
but don’t look at the electorate
they’ll decide
keep my eyes
on kims new dress
or her marriage failed
tell me rumors about celebrities
show me how to watch sports
and who’s guilty and who’s not
the story, the most important aspect
trumping true or false
courtrooms on tv
mesmorize me
so I don’t notice the real
I don’t know what’s false, or what to feel
They keep me tuned to tv
On the radio
On the web
Show me how to analyze sports
And how to understand celebrity
And how all my heroes fall
And most people are bad
And most things that happened aren’t good
What is sensationalism
What is a theatrical event
Rats in a maize we are
Listening to them feeding us
Spoons of words that mislead
As we follow
The news
But no one teaches propaganda
versus truth…….

No comments:

Post a Comment