Thursday, March 5, 2015

An Unsigned Portrait

This portrait I will never sign, it was never mine. Even though the colors are 
familiar and the strokes are uniquely a piece of me, I have barely laid a brush 
on the canvas. In fact, more of my flaws you will see than any of my strengths. 
 
I have stood in awe, as this work became itself. I have not even the slightest 
knowledge nor understanding of the medium and yet I welcomed the idea of 
creating it, a small piece of the artist is that which is created as just a 
whisper, not too much detail and yet enough to clarify the artists vision. 
 
In this particular work, I must admit the painting has taught me more than I 
could ever explain. Now as it becomes theirs’, a work that will be shared with 
the world, I seem to be more clueless than ever before. 
 
I can’t articulate the purpose or vision; it is so far beyond the comprehension 
of a mere artist. The strokes I have taken in recent seem more discordant than 
ever, it seems I can only damage the canvas and being an artist and a creative 
person seems more like a detriment than a virtue. 
 
I am clumsy, my colors are unsure and even worse than all of this, I am so 
irrelevant. And yet the finishing touches beg for my attention. I keep my 
distance, I sort of need to these days because the closer I get to perfecting 
the masterpiece, the more I realize it has nothing to do with me and it is not 
mine. So I won’t be signing this canvas, I wont be taking a bow to the audience 
no more than I could stand in judgment of my lack of skill-the painting has 
become itself, I have been barely present and yet the lack of myself has meant 
everything in its creation. 
 
I won’t sign this work, I will leave it to the audience to decide and they will 
finish it. They will never see the beauty I see, nor understand its amazing 
virtue-only I can see this and my deep love for it has made me the worst critic. 
I can only judge myself in its shadow and I never come up as nothing but a hack 
painter, a novice, a word smith without words to describe… so this painting, 
this beautiful amazing painting will never be signed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment