Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Lament of a Landscape

I walked with you in a landscape
The sky was black and you didn’t notice
Being young
Remember finding crawfish on the golf course
Remember walking slow,
Walking fast
Do you remember when walking
Was the hardest task

I walked with you in a garden
It was beautiful
And we ate plums
When other fruits were soured
And we would plant the seeds
And count the flowers
And we would never look over the fence
Only for turtles and the snakes
and the hidden places they went

Your smile would light my day
And calm the storm
I promised I’d keep you safe
And free from harm

And now you run on cliffs,
I have since lost my step
And I can barely throw rocks to a mocking tide
Or fathom where your journey went
I stand on a crossroad
Watching the flowers unkempt
And the plums never sweeten enough
Time insists it will give you back
But time I will never trust
So I stand across this landscape
The sky was once so blue
Can’t we lay in the grass for a while
And talk about the stars
And the sky
I promised I’d  keep you safe
I promised I wouldn’t cause harm
But I can’t reach your precarious perch

Or fathom where you are…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment